The OLTD program consists of ten, six-week, three credit courses, engaging students in discovering best practice for online teaching using the latest Web 2.0 tools and Learning Management Systems. The OLTD program is designed to meet the needs of school districts seeking certified, skilled teachers to work in distance learning schools and classrooms provincially and potentially internationally. It will also serve the needs of post-secondary and other teaching/learning institutions encouraging their faculty and instructors in the use of fully online, hybrid and blended delivery models.
The program engages a cohort model of 25 seats and is focused on student success. Asycnchronous and synchronous formats are offered, fully online. December holidays and summer vacations are honoured (July and August) providing a realistic schedule for practicing teachers, instructors and working professionals.
Courses are offered via synchronous and asynchronous delivery models-- fully online.
The OLTD program also qualifies graduates to complete VIU's Masters of Education (Leadership) graduate degree program with only an additional 10 credits of project work. Successful OLTD program graduates may also quality for increased BC TQS salary placement.
Applicants with either a B.Ed OR a degree in another discipline with current teaching experience will be encouraged. Applications for September startup are accepted throughout the year until seats are filled. Please contact our Education Advising department for further information and registration requirements.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
These outcomes are intended to strand across all courses and ensure that every course has consistent and common outcomes. Students will:
- Become familiar with common terms, definitions and elements related to online environments
- Demonstrate basic competency with design and implementation within a variety of online learning environments and tools
- Plan learning opportunities most suitable to the strengths and challenges of a variety of environments
- Develop and design intentional learning activities suitable for the appropriate environment and the learner
- Incorporate Universal Design for Learning (UDL) principles
- Select strategies and resources appropriate for environment, learners and learning outcomes
- Understand, design and commit to student success in online learning environments
- Design inclusive learning environments
- Share engagement strategies and tips
- Engage in mentoring and coaching with educational partners
- Work with families and students to establish effective learning plans
- Undertake engagement with environments through online facilitation for effective learning
- Moderation and mediation
- Understand how to build rapport and manage groups
- establish relationships with learners and families
- build teacher to student rapport
- engage in building learning communities and communities of practice
- Critically assess and evaluate resources for best practice in online learning
- Create assessment and evaluation methods/tools most suitable to the strengths and challenges of online environments
- Scaffold digital citizenship from K-12 to professional level of educators
- Consider responsibility, accountability and civility in online environments
- Integrate current cognitive learning and brain-based learning theory
- Examine current research around best practices and emerging practices
- Develop practical and technical skills in all phases of concept, development, design, implementation, etc.
- Develop skills to optimize learning experiences through personalization
- Based on characteristics, needs, stages of development, current 21st Century personalized learning mandates, etc..
(Note: Each course is 6 weeks in duration with a 2 week break between courses each term.)
YEAR 1 Fall Semester
OLTD 501 - Introduction to Online Learning - Competencies and Environments (3 cr)
OLTD 502 - Digital Learning Continuum (3 cr)
OLTD 503 - Online Communication (3 cr)
OLTD 504 - Learning Systems (3 cr)
OLTD 512 - Instructional Design (3 cr)
YEAR 2 Fall Semester
OLTD 506 - Social Media (3 cr)
OLTD 511 - Blended Learning (3 cr)
OLTD 509 - Emergent Environments and Technologies (3 cr)
OLTD 508 - Mobile Learning and Gaming (3 cr)
OLTD 510 - Capstone Learnings (3 cr)
TOTAL Credits: 30
Visit our VIU Program and Course Calendar page for further details.