Our Faculty of Education Diploma Programs are outstanding choices for several key reasons:
- we provide 2 high demand program options--special education or online teaching and learning
- program options can ladder-up into our master's degree program
- we are commited to student success and developing leaders in the field
- our high quality practical programs are tailored to the needs of in-service professionals
- our exceptional faculty with "real world" expertise.
Upon successful completion of either diploma programs, students are eligible to apply to VIU Master of Education programs.
Click on our diploma program titles below to discover more about each one.
- Graduate Diploma (Inclusive Education Graduate Program) also called "IEGD"
A Post Degree Program designed for BC certified teachers planning to increase their understanding of diverse student needs in the classroom. Provides preparation for positions in school-based student support services.
- Graduate Diploma (Online Learning & Teaching) also called "OLTD"
A Post Degree Program for educators in BC and beyond providing a solid foundation in the pedagogical and technical expertise required to leverage technology for effective teaching and learning in distributed learning environments. Areas of study include social networking, cloud computing, open educational resources, online communication, mobile learning and gaming, and emergent technologies. VIU Online Learning and Teaching Graduate Diploma brochure
Though different in focus, both the IEGD and OLTD diploma programs reflect VIU's commitment to providing post-graduate programs for educators that are current, relevant, and meet practical needs expressed by the field. Central to these two programs is the personal attention and commitment to student success for which VIU's Faculty of Education is well known.
Another distinguishing characteristic of these programs is the nature of our faculty. Both programs offer top-notch academically passionate faculty with expertise and experience in their educational fields. Unlike other universities, the knowledge and experience of VIU's professors is "not strictly academic". VIU's Faculty of Education has a commitment to hiring professors who have K-12 experience. Our faculty have been in the field-as school counsellors, teachers, and administrators-and can speak as both academics and practitioners. This gives our programs a distinct edge over other programs.