- Program Length16 Months
- CredentialGraduate Diploma
- Location OfferedNanaimo
This program incorporates a blended online and face to face model. Generally classes meet on campus in Nanaimo during Intersession and online during the fall and spring semesters. Students will have some required courses, as well as some electives. This program will not be cohort based. Students will be able to enroll at any start of a semester and will be able to select courses as they go.
VIU's Inclusive Education (Special Education) Graduate Diploma embodies an innovative approach to the field of Inclusive Education. Grounded in current research and evidence–based practices, our program challenges each educator to critically examine historical and contemporary Inclusive Education policies and approaches to formulate a best practice specific to her/his own context. Faculty bring their expert knowledge and extensive experiences to guide, support and maximize student learning in each part of the program.
The 30 credit program is nested in four frames of reference:
1. Context for Development and Learning: Students consider the context for development and learning including characteristics of the individual with special needs; issues such as social context, cultural perspectives, poverty, and mental and social health; and implications of research.
2. Informative Assessment: Students focus on the purposes, processes, and implications of assessment information.
3. Responsive Teaching: Students demonstrate the ability to develop, implement, and evaluate an Individual Education Plan (IEP) in consultation with classroom teacher(s), parents, students, and district and community resource personnel for students with a variety of special needs.
4. Re–imagining Inclusive Education: Students think beyond current practices and examine critical issues in the field of Inclusive Education that impact children with special needs and their families in order to re–imagine the field of Inclusive Education.
Graduates of the program will command content knowledge, develop skill–specific competencies and acquire relevant experiences prescribed by the BC Ministry of Education for Inclusive Education specialist teachers.
The Inclusive Education (Special Education) Graduate Diploma program is offered as a flexible model for practicing teachers. Continuous intake is available for students. Students will be able to complete courses from this graduate diploma at their own pace, and once completed will be eligible to ladder on to the Master in Education in Special Education where they will complete three more courses in order to qualify for a Master in Education in Special Education degree.